Wednesday, November 29, 2006

procrastination as usual

You know one of the hardest things in the world? Trying to start a paper. You know you're supposed to do it, but you just keep trying to come up with distractions. For example, looking at videos on youtube. I've even told myself I'll write a little bit then as a reward I'll watch that awesome clip on youtube. What usually happens is I watch the clip but don't get much writing done. Go figure.

The paper topic is so cool I do not know why I cannot motivate myself. I'm supposed to be writing about the contributions and controversies of the devadasis. By far the most interesting thing that I have discovered in my research (and by research i mean googling) is a woman named Kama who is a devadasi in Britain. She has a blog too. My first impression was blogging 'prostitute' has potential to be well explicit and TMI. Surprisingly or not surprisingly, she is incredibly intelligent and a confident woman; Kama writes about current issues and whatever strikes her mind. She really makes me rethink the role of women and sexuality. Her strongest point is regulating prostitutes will not make a difference, but regulating the people who go to prostitutes. Basic rule of economics whenever there is a demand there will be a supply. I'm neither praising nor condoning what she does, but I admire her eloquence and guts to stand for what she believes in without sounding arrogant or superficial. American society tends to stigmatize sex as purely physical and X rated, but in fact it is something beautiful and spiritual. Creation is an amazing thing.

Sepiamutiny had a posting about it a while back. The comment section is compelling.

No comments: