Monday, November 06, 2006

Book on India and Memento

Some people get on my nerves. Just thinking about it makes my head hurt, so I'm not.

On Friday, I went to a discussion about the Gita 12th chapter on bhakti. It was most interesting. The 12th chapter gives a prescription to achieve a peaceful state of mind (ALWAYS open to interpretation). We just talked about how hard that can be and how to focus on God when going through motions of the day. Someone brought up a good point that we always blame God when we are angry or hurt, but when something good happens we always congratulate ourselves. Another person related a story of his father who always thinks about God when he eats ice cream - he offers it to God first. Anyway, it's a reminder to think of Him when positive things happen too. That is so true, so each of us decided to pick an object, something positive to help us remember God. I'm going to try that from now on.

I also watched the film Memento. I liked it, I was in complete suspense till the end. Although I was disappointed with the ending. I always like to have a rationale for everything and that's not the ending they gave. I don't want to give away the story, but people should watch it! Really good directing and cinematography.

I don't know much about Cricket, but for my modern South Asia class, she asked us to read a book called Corner of A Foreign Field. It's a history of cricket in India. The book is really very good, but you know how something can lose its appeal if it becomes a homework assignment? Anyway, I like that he talks about a little known AMAZING bowler named Baloo. He was an untouchable. But cricket seems to have been a path for him to overcome the oppression that comes along with being a Dalit. That's pretty cool.

No comments: