Friday, December 05, 2008

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

I read this novel based on a friend's recommendation. It started out pretty well. Wikipedia describes it better than me:
The book consists of six nested stories that take us from the remote South Pacific in the nineteenth century to the far future after a nuclear apocalypse.


Each nested story is distinctly written the style, prose, you name it. It could be thought of as 6 different authors wrote stories and combined it into one book. I admire Mitchell's range in writing. There was supposed to be a common thread throughout the novel which I thought was kind of lame, but I guess it worked.

Again, I prefer novels that follow a singular storyline and not meander with many different characters, so I liked some of the stories more than others. It was not boring, but I did not read it for a few days and honestly did not have the desire to finish it since the portions with my favorite characters were complete.

It's worth a shot in reading at least once.

No comments: