Friday, July 19, 2013

Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl

This book started out slow and I got lost in all the characters but it eventually picked up and I could not put it down. I just finished it this morning and secretly read it at my desk when I was waiting for my computer to turn on. It reminded me of a few things.

When we are teenagers, we live in a bubble and can be naive and reckless. We act fearless but we are fearful and trying to figure out who we are and where we belong. Honestly as an adult I know I still haven't figured it out yet. Pessl captures that so well with the crew of the Bluebloods. But also teenagers are smarter and more perceptive than we give them credit for.

Things are not always what they seem. Sometimes the truth is painful and learning it makes you lose everything. It can set you free from anxiety but it can never go back to the way it was.

"Sometimes it takes more courage not to let yourself see. Sometimes knowledge is damaging - not enlightenment but unleadenment. If one recognizes the difference and prepares oneself - it is extraordinarily brave."

I read this quote 144 pages in and after finishing the book I realize it was clearly foreshadowing.

I recommend this book also because the writing is quite unique. Pessl has written it like a thesis with a lot of literary and well thought quotes and references that give insight into the story. 

1 comment:

Sarah Allen said...

Hmmm, this looks like a really interesting read!

Sarah Allen
(From Sarah, with Joy)