Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami

Yesterday I read the entire novel at work from start to finish. Clearly, I have lots to do. Also, clearly I am doing work right now by writing this blog post. By the way what is the etiquette on the number of times a person should ask for work to do?

Back to the novel. Interestingly this is the second novel this year I read about sheep. The first one I read was about detective sheep, don't ask.

Haruki Murakami is a fantastic writer. His style flows easily and the content is so wonderfully bizarre that I cannot help reading it. His novels are actually in Japanese and I have read a English translated version, which is an artform in itself. I am told this is his strangest novel and he is best known for The Wind up Bird Chronicles. A Wild Sheep Chase is about a man who is sent on a mission to find this rare sheep that apparently takes over people's bodies. When the proverbial sheep is in that person's body he has built an entire mafia like empire and exhausts its human host towards death. It sounds like scifi or horror but it isn't. I think the sheep is a symbol of greed and power that take over one's mind. I have not read a "strange" book in a while, so this novel was a nice change of pace.

4 comments:

Skinnejay said...

oh cool, i was wondering about this guy. i have one of his books-the one about running on my bed but havent read much of it yet since im working on another book. he won the kafka award sometime ago so doesnt surprise me if its weird. i recommend some kafka if you want weird. the penal colony and the metamorphosis are excellent places to start. the starving artist is good too.

Bookworm said...

ohh i shall keep kafka in mind. i like wierd books. have youy ever read zadie smith?

Skinnejay said...

no, ill have to look that up. whats its about?

shrooty said...

agh im so bad at this replying thing! i dont know why i dont get notifications.

zadie smith is this author she wrote On Beauty. Definitely something to check out.